social security...


The appointment was for 2PM today. A fact finding mission because DH has been listening to co-workers and had a heap of bad information. Before the appointment even began, I got in trouble. The nice,security guard - ok, if you need a security guard at the SS office, what has happened before? So, no food or drink allowed so I can keep my bottle of Diet Coke but I can open it. Gotcha. Then I pull out my camera, and she comes running over to tell me not only can I not document this momentous occasion, I have to delete the photos I took inside. Outside is ok, inside is not. Tried to be on my best behavior for the rest of the time before the appointment.

Wasn't even sure we had an appointment. While I repeatedly trying to confirm the location and by location I meant city and state of the appointment, the last thing the SS agent asked was, What state are you calling from? Since I would find out today that the phone number for the local office was incorrect so there was no way short of showing up early to confirm, yeah or nea. I warned DH that this might be the case and not to leave work before I called him, full expecting I would have to take him out for ice cream if there was no appointment but we got lucky.

Limited to a 1/2 hours, we asked our questions quickly, took notes and are formulating a plan. It means some shifting of money and kind of a shock that because of DH BDay, his check will hit our bank account, the 2nd Wednesday of the month. Will have to realign but certainly is better than the horror Stories he has been bringing home for the last few months.

As I sat in the chair watching this whole new season of life, it hit me - We are not in Kansas anymore. I didn't see this coming. It was almost a Place of looking inside, through the window while standing outside. Like it was happening to someone else. A reality check that said, some never live long enough to be in this season of life. You are one of the lucky ones.

I walked away, feeling like I had just come back from visiting a different planet. As one realizes that we are all hurling toward death, no matter what your age - it is a humbling experience but deciding that is is not how much time you are here, but what you do with that time. Cherish each day, what a gift...