fluid...


I was helping Brando today get ready for the Mother of all Yard Sales this weekend. The garage is already full and there is more stuff coming. Our task today was to finish going through boxes of her stuff and getting a tag on everything.

We were doing stuffed animals and she ask me to put all the stuffed animals that were in the red box in the green tote... And I did just that. Next to the red box were a few stray animals but I didn't pick them up because they weren't in the red box. This is the anal side of me that I am not in love with.

I want to be more fluid. Like the picture of the water splashing against the rocks - no two drops the same and a random stream of mist that seems to have its own natural rhythm. There is nothing anal about being fluid. Fluid has ying and yang, back and forth and a recklessness that borders on being a little out of control.

Can you learn to be more fluid? Like learning a new craft - can you practice your way to include more ying and yang in your life? I hope so. Unlike learning to play a musical instrument where talent can make the difference between music that sounds like it came straight down from heaven or a well-played piece, with no depth or emotion.

The very nature of being fluid is emotion. That is what the anal side is missing out on. The job gets done in a very satisfactory manner but has tunnel vision. So much of what Jesus taught was fluid and so many of us are anal, it is almost like re-learning what we thought we already knew. More and more, I come to believe that being with Jesus is a little reckless and borders on being a little out of control.

Just like taking everything out of the red box and putting it in the green tote, I need to look around. What am I missing? What is right in front of my face that if I miss - I will be sorry? For me, it has to be a daily reminder. Other things come more easily. For those things that don't, I just need to let the water splash on my face and refresh me. Ah...that feels better.