pushing beyond...


I started a month long on line sensory digital class this week. Our first week's focus is on sight. Our assignment was to take a photo or layout we had already done with little or no journaling and use our sense of sight to look deeper and push beyond what we originally saw.
It didn't take me long to figure out that on powerful pictures, I would become completely overwhelmed and could never find words to do it justice so I would give it a title and a few swigglies and call it good. This photo was so strong for me, I scrapped it on a blue piece of paper and gave it a Sand and Surf title. After a few good suggestions, I began to push back. I tried to recall what I was thinking when I took the photo. I LOVE taking these back shots. They tell their own Stories and that is what I am always after. To me, a photo must tell a Story. We take photos to document people and events but going that extra step can turn a plain document that tells who, what and where into a Story that leaves you wanting More. It is these kind of photos that have traditionally stunned me into non-action.
I had no idea that Week one would be so powerful. It can't help but spill over into other parts of my life. It is amazing to me how creativity just keeps unfolding in my life. Being a life long anal, when I started to exercise my creative muscle - I had no idea of the Places I would go. Learning to explore and see the world in a different Light - I just didn't see that coming.
I have never been one to like school or assignments. A few years ago I had to take a college credit Microbiology class for my job and I almost got thrown out when the talk turned to social issues that I did not agree with. I am too old to keep my mouth shut so even if I was inclined which I am not, I would never make it. Could never bit my tongue for a grade.
I have learned alot since then and going creative seems to be a great fit. I can't wait for week 2 and I am even considering sending my teacher a cyber red apple. The things you can learn if only you are willing...