confrontation...



In conversation today with DD, we discussed the issue of confrontation, We both know people on either side of the spectrum. Those who would rather perish than confront and those to whom confronting is almost second-nature.

Just in case there was any question, the 2nd category is more in line with my nature. Perhaps because of life experiences, I feel that the value of confronting/saying no/whatever else - is worth it. There have been consequences and they have been big ones. Lost relationships - there is a price to pay. My perception is that those whose have decided that it is better to live with keeping it all inside - pay a price also. They still may be everyone buddy while it killing them in many different ways.

In a healthy life, there is a time to confront and a time to let it go. The biggest obstacle is knowing when and the consequences for not being able to know which is which most of the time, can be costly. It is a life long process and I can only hope we get better at it.

I want to be somewhere between doormat and bully.
I want to confront when it is the right thing to do.
I want the fear of confrontation to be the least of my worries.

I won't always get it right. The whole failure thing but with prayer and practice, I can't help but strive for better results. If I confront and I am wrong, I can make restitution. If I don't confront and later understand that I should have, will probably get another shot at it. When you don't confront, it seems to come back - again and again. Not always fun but a necessary part of Growing Up which I am desperately trying to do...