protect...



One of my weaknesses and there are many, is the storing desire to protect. When I am restless, like now - it is worse. No particular reason for the restlessness. Maybe the heat or watching our community search for a missing boy for the last 10 days (looks like he was found this afternoon - waiting for coroner to ID) but to me, it feels like something is up.

On any given day, my need to protect is on high alert. Intellectually, I know I have no control but the desire to do so is overwhelming. Anything from physical protection to protection from self-inflicted choices, I am there in full mental superhero gear, ready to take over.

As you can imagine, it has not always turned out well for them or me. There is a fine line knowing when protection is needed or if your instinct to save is getting in the way of a Bigger Lesson to learn. Everything is not a oncoming train where immediate action is required. My trouble is that it all looks like a train wreck to me and that anything short of sprinting into action feels, irresponsible.

Will I always feel this way? Probably. It is part of who I am from the experiences I had. When the heat is up and it feels even more intense, I will have to decide when to tone it down...or not. In my more rational moments, I kid with God about a co-protection collaboration. He lets me vent and then gently reminds me, it's not about me. I have no super powers, He didn't see fit to give them to me and furthermore, I need to leave my own ideas, at the door.

My job is to obey not protect. There is probably a reason you never see protection on a spiritual gifts test. Weaknesses, we all have them but have got to believe that they can be used for good. As all good superheroes know, always use your power for good...