summer Sabbath...



Blog hopping the other night, had no idea where I was but where I was, didn't expect what I saw. A woman talking about summer, and after a paragraph or so she said, summer is my sabbath. It immediately made the Big Bell go off in my head.

That is how I feel about summer. It is a rest from the now only the snow, rain and dark but A time to renew, take in the warm and hang out in my mind. Another piece of the Big Picture, just waiting to be found. I am a lucky girl.

I started thinking about Growler, my paternal grandfather. Not particular a warm and fuzzy person, there were some horror Stories about his style of parenting and husbanding. Grandma was a Baptist all her grown life - Grandpa was not.. At least not until he was in his early 70's. Then he was a man on fire. He never called us by our names, both my sister and I were always, always Susie Bell. I didn't think he knew our names but since I was named after his sister, I imagine he really did. I loved with him and Grandma for a few years growing up when my mother was not able to care for me. I was well fed by Grandma but Grandpa, not so much. He use to say if you went fishing and you took a wife and children, it wasn't fishing, it was a picnic. At least he was honest. His youngest child was born when his oldest was away at war so I assumed he thought the kids would never go away. He lived into his nineties and surprisingly passed after Grandma of what they say was a broken heart. I am so much like her, 50% motherly and 50% bossy...and we both loved to cook.

The one thing Growler did say after his conversion was he didn't understand how God reached in the middle of all the nasty in our life and why we turned to God. He amazed him that hearts could be softened when it seemed impossible to his human mind. He had seen it all before he found Jesus, or so he thought. He couldn't undo the past but he did have almost 25 more years to ponder the life he had. Wonder what he would think of Keaton, Gage and Morgan? I think he would smile and go to ball games and ballet recitals.

The things you think about in summer when your brain is all wet,warm and sunny. Summer Sabbath, I love you and can't wait for more...