just say no...



When life(or your granddaughter) gives you lemons, you make lemonade...

She is going through her Don't Take My Picture phase. I now that this too will pass but not loving it now. The thing I do appreciate is her ability to say no. It is a very misunderstood subject, the ability to say no. Either we can't for so many different reasons which leads to a completely new set of problems or we say no at the wrong times, for the wrong reasons. Just say no sounds easy but in reality, is tough to get right.

Some no's are so obvious, you wonder why it was ever a question. Came across one myself last week, leaves you scratching your head in dismay about how much denial a person can be in. Even though it was a no-brainer, the politics of the situation did not leave me the luxury of displaying Miss M's most truthful response. Had to negotiate a response and it actually fell to another to do the deed. Sometimes you just have to follow someone else's lead.

There is a real art to saying no. You have to balance guilt with good, mental health. It doesn't come overnight but if you keep trying, after many attempts and some failures, it will get easier and you will get better at it. The guilt will never go away - it will subside but will rear it's ugly head just when you think you have conquered it. Miss M is off to a good start. It was but a few weeks ago that she was telling me, Nana - take my picture now. Oh, how I long for the good old days...