always the employee...

When I was downsized from my job of 25 years, I wound up unemployed for three months. Ironically I was hired along with 3 VP's , two days after the corporation had a massive layoff including my daughter. It was strange time but it was a job and a good one. I was hired as a paralegal assistant supervisor. My boss was my age, while everyone else held the title of the 30 something workforce. Because of severance pay, after 5 months I found out I owed the government a lot of money and if I continued working, a lot more. The future of the company was on shaky ground and the handwriting was on the wall for a short future so I resigned. At my exit interview, the VP of the legal department ask me to reconsider - he told me if I ever changed my mind, to let him know. As flattering as that was, I was more touched by the girls I had worked with. I called them all in and explained what was going on and they took turns telling me how much they loved working with me. It was only a few months and while I never knew why I was there for such a short time, these ladies made it perfectly clear. Sometimes in life, we get short term assignments and this was certainly one of them. That was 9 years ago.

My sister has still not found a job in 10 months. We have had talks about it since she started looking. Her expectations are too high. What she has to offer is a dinosaur in a digital world. The job market is changing constantly. What worked yesterday is obsolete today. The older work force clearly have value but if you don't have good computer skills, you can't expect to rule the Kingdom. I know that should I decide to go back to work that I would not be able to get the jobs I once had. Walmart, Home Depot - here I come. It is not about giving up but about being reasonable. The same holds true for in other areas of our lives. If your expectations are too high or unrealistic, you will never be able to find contentment. Don't offer someone a dinosaur and try to pass if off as a diamond. Like Kenny Rogers says, Know when to hold them and when to fold them. If you have a dinosaur, take it to a museum. Live within your means. Accept your limitations and stop beating your head against the wall. Life changes, we have to change with it or get left behind completely and if you can't be with the job you love, love the one you're with...