the gift...


Last Sunday morning as the mucis started at church I stood and listened to the combined voices of almost 500 unconnected people who were, for a few minutes, all on the same page.
It doesn't happen very often. That feeling of being connected, Unless by a belief, cause or hobby, we are pretty much loners until we connect.
Then I becomes we... us.....together.
And then, we start wishing we were someone else. Someone with Those talents or That ability. We lose sight of our own gift and start going after someone else's. American Idol outtakes - need I say more? Looks like if we wish or think or are in denial enough, we can fool ourselves into believing we have a gift, even when it was never given to us. We miss what we so desperately need to see, our own gift.
I'm not sure when it happened but I no longer am interested in gifts that aren't mine. There was a day when I would have sold my soul to be a singer. Don't care anymore. I still sing at home and in the car but I don't long for it anymore. I don't want anything that God has not chosen to give me. Why? Because look at what He has given me.
We need to do the best we can with what we have been. Walk your way. Learn to love the way you are and what you have been given. Don't waste time wishing your gifts were different or wishing you had someone else's way. For now, I will enjoy Mary J Blige and Ana Laura while being blessed by their gift and thrive in my own.