a 5th wheel...



Last Friday in the middle of a freak sleet storm, I went to my first yard sale of the year. My real estate friend and her husband had been planning this for a few years. The real estate market, well - you know, so they sold the house, and were getting rid of anything that won't fit in a 5th wheel RV. They do have a cabin, not sure of its size but because this has fascinated me all weekend - I called an RV dealer today and asked for the square footage of the biggest 5th wheel they sell. I told him ti was research - no buyer here, ever. He told me the Deluxe model has 320 sq ft of living space and another 240 sq ft of outside space. Not sure how much these things cost but it is not cheap. Then you have to have a huge $70,000 truck to haul this thing around in. Add in $4 TO $5 gas and you've got yourself, well...the freedom of the road.

They seem so content. I told her, give it a while. I think she will want a more permanent home. Maybe not - hard to put myself in their shoes. It is not about material things entirely for me - it's also about the closed in space. My father spent most days daydreaming about living off the land his family owned in Michigan. It never made sense to me - you have what 6 or 7 decent weather months but he was so optimistic that if life went to youknowwhere, he would be fine.

Maybe it was living under that happy yet crazy cloud. I wish them the very best in their retirement. I hope the open road is everything and more they hoped for. May they meet many wonderful people, see fabulous sights and if she ever needs it, my bathroom is her bathroom...