aging...



It is not a word I like very much. Sounds so AARP-like but the benefits that can come with it make it worth it - at least until I can figure out Something better.

As I sat at the Brick today, waiting for my friend, I wanted to capture the light that was streaming in the window. Not only the best Tomato Bisque I have ever had but it has such a calming effect on me. I could live there. I may have to paint my house these calming colors because I got to say, this feels like home.

My wise friend once told me she thinks that as we age, the Real us becomes more apparent. There has to be an upside to aging so the ability to see more clearly, be more honest with yourself and others - also has a calming effect.

Last Thursday when I went out to get the mail, there was a handwritten letter with familiar handwriting. I took a second look, turned it over looking for a return address - there was none and knew exactly what it was. When DH's mom dies almost 6 years ago, we received the same handwritten letter the morning of her funeral. It contained 2 leaflet's, 2 folded up sheets of paper and 2 single notebook size papers, one of then entitled, Liars.

Because of the handwriting on several of the sheets and because of the median age of those who read the newspaper, it appears to be someone who is older rather than younger. He reads the obituaries and singles out a certain religion and sends hate mail. Plain and simple. A coward with no return address. I thought we had dodged his ugly bullet this time - this time it took almost 3 weeks. I was beginning to think he had a change of heart or died but alas, that was not the case. I had even mentioned it at the funeral home and said I was reluctant to put our names in the newspaper because quite frankly, I didn't want my family to go through that again but I didn't and he did.

After I opened it up, I couldn't help but think about that poor woman who lost her husband and three sons last year and how she must have felt when she got her letter. We are not of the religion that he hates but I can tell you that if that is the way you treat people in Christ's name, I want no part of it.

This time, I was somewhat prepared - the last time I was blind-sided. I need to pray for him but find myself resisting and more just wanting to smack him. Hopefully, I will not find myself in the same boat as this man. I hope as the years go by, my passion is joy and affects everyone around me. I wish that for Mr Coward. May Someday he RIP....