Beijing



8.08.08. I read today that the number 8 is considered a lucky number in China. With 9days to go before hosting the games of their lifetime, ready or not China - here they come. I have followed the Geswein family journey for over a year now as they are teaching in the city. Very interesting posts as Kimberly talks about getting the Chinese people culturally and environmentally prepared for this Bigger Than Life event. Tonight's news brought word that the Powers That Be are trying to clear out the pollution by not allowing the masses to drive their autos hoping that the skies will clear when company starts showing up.

Anthony Bourdain, of No Reservations fame had some very interesting non-food facts tonight that explained alot about what is going on in my world. The default mode of transportation in China has always been the bicycle. In the last 5 years, the amount of cars has increased 10 fold hence a clue into our current gas crisis. Today was the first time in a long time that I paid less than 4 dollars for gas. What a thrill!

I am not much of a Olympic games fan nor does the thought of going to China thrill me. I had a chance once to work there for a couple of years but could not say no fast enough. DH, on the other hand, was hoping against hope that I would change my mind but in his heart, he knew., Nothing personal against China - would have lived in a hotel, would never have had to cook or do laundry but there was absolutely no value to me.

I don't know that you can ever been totally ready for company. As China has been westernized over the last 10 years, I hope they don't get overwhelmed and can enjoy themselves every once in a while. Having guests can be exhausting and even the best of hosts can feel like they haven't done enough. So many expectations in so little time. I wish everyone well...