the perfect gift...



Gift (gift) n - Something given voluntarily with no expectation of payment in return.

I agree. A black Hummer would be the perfect gift but I couldn't help but think about a friend who years ago received a fabulous car as a gift for her birthday and ... it also came with a payment book. I hope the reason she had that particular vanity plate made was that it came without strings.

Gifts - we all have very diverse ideas of what constitutes a gift. Sometimes there are expectations and that makes it a bit difficult when the gift doesn't live up to those exps. Sometimes, a gift is completely unexpected. This week I received a $ 20 gift certificate to a wonderful digi designer's shop. I had emailed her several weeks ago and asked about doing some word art kits and she thanked me with this wonderful gift. I am so excited to go shopping!

Not all gifts are material in nature. Some of the best gifts I have ever received were this week in the form of unsolicited kisses and hugs from the most wonderful little people in the world. An I love you so much, can keep me going for days and I have had more than my fair share of nana love this week.

DH has hard a tough week. The heat and no days off has taken its toll yet I got a unexpected hug, just because. After 36 years, that certainly qualifies as a gift.

The pastor's sermon was a gift this week. Part of my prayer life was made clear. I didn't know that I had something in common with Mary who loved Jesus, but it all makes sense now. Blew me away when the pieces all fit together. What a gift that was.

The other thing we need to understand is that all gifts are not created equal. Some will last a few moments and some a lifetime. If you give someone something of a material nature, perhaps the best part of the gift is to let them decide where the gift falls. I have seen so many of these gifts given with inappropriate strings attached. We all need to understand that when a gift is given so is our right to define the gift's value. It is the same thing with a non-material gift - whatever we pass on as a gift is just that. Done expecting nothing in return. It is a good way to live. It makes givng the perfect gift...doable.