plans...

Do our lives look anything like we imagined they would? As strange as it sounds, I don't remember much about the future as a kid or even as a teen. No goals - not sure if it was the times or me. I can remember thinking it would be dreamy to be married and have 10 kids and I still think the white picket fence is the epitome of dreamy.
If you want some fascinating reading, check out PW's Change of Plan post and the comments that follow.

“I’m married with two kids, but I’m a stay-at-home-mom…It’s definitely not what I intended for my life, but it turns out, it’s everything I never knew I always wanted.”

“My daughter’s angst now is that she doesn’t know what she wants to do with her life; she’s a year out of college…I keep telling her that…fate will take her in many different directions, regardless of her plans…”

“Fourteen months ago, my life was more than I ever thought it could be. And then we lost our baby. And my oldest daughter was diagnosed with cancer.”

“When I was little, I was planning on Donny Osmond coming to my house on a motorcycle and taking me away. We would then become a duet and be famous…”

“I can’t say I’m unhappy but I wish I would have been a little smarter and not gotten pregnant when I did. I think I’ve made life harder for myself and my children…

“I was too busy getting high and chasing boys. But 26 1/2 years of sobriety later, I wouldn’t trade all of the experiences I’ve had and lessons I’ve learned for that lifestyle again. God it was fun, though…”


It is a sobering, reality that we humans are experience a wide range of expectations and experiences but what we have in common is that life doesn't always turn out the way we thought it would. We all get blindsided and don't know what to do. It can happen in an instant. Your life, your plans - everything can be gone in an instant.

Last night in our little town, A young couple were about to give birth to their first baby in two weeks. A tragic motorcycle accident and now a young woman will become a mommy by herself. All their plans and dreams as a couple are gone and she will have to find her way. I pray she will reach out to God because there is no where else to go. It is a reminder to me to go ahead and make plans but remember who really is in charge and that not only do we need to embrace every moment but be ready to embrace the One who made us when those plans turn out to be nothing like we planned...