object permanence...



Object permanence refers to the ability of the brain to retain and utilise visual images. It develops at about eight months of age. This faculty is distinct from a baby's recognition memory.

For example, a baby is able to recognise and prefers to look at its mother by the third day of life. However, it will not cry upon being left by mother; "Out of sight, out of mind." At around eight months, the child will be exhibit signs of separation anxiety when mother leaves the room. This is because the child can now appreciate what he has just lost - the presence of his mother. Another sign of the attainment of object permanence is baby's delight at the game of "peek-a-boo," which demonstrates graphically that the child appreciates that just because Mother is out of direct view she is still in the world and can be recalled by moving the hands or blanket out of the way


She initiated the phone calls. They are sporadic, come at all hours of the day. They mostly end abruptly as they did tonight when her cell phone went dead. The funny thing is, she is 15 and I am not. Her grandmother and I were friends for over 30 years. I have known her mother for all her life minus 6 weeks and while I have know this delightful girl her whole life we have only met face to face less than 10 times and only 3 since she was a baby. We bypass pleasantries and get to business. The business of being 15 and all that goes with it. Tonight our conversation started with poetry, and then moved on to object permanence which I had never heard of but was fascinated by. As soon as she started telling me about the peek a boo thing, it immediately triggered the thought of God as being there, whether we think He is or not. I thanked her for teaching me something new today - she thanked me for the God reference. What a way to end the day.

I have no idea when she will call again. Hadn't heard form her in a while so I thought we were done. The interesting thing is from the very first call she made last year, there was never an introduction, Hi, this is ... She just started talking like we have talked forever. I knew exactly who it was - her voice is uniquely distintive...and we have been talking ever since. She calls me and I am always available. Her grandmother and I have not spoke in over 4 years but I Facebook with her mom and aunt. They have never asked me about our conversations but know we are conversing. It is a wonderful, random thing for which I am grateful for - no matter if I ever get another call or not. Object permanence - what a find and out of the mouth of babes...