rebuke...



rebuke (ri byook)
To express sharp, stern disapproval of.
To reprove,
A sharp reprimand.

Sitting and lite chatting at a friend"s house with another friend I hadn't seen in a long while. We were talking about kids and my friend made a comment about her oldest child who is still at home - something like when he is gone when our mutual friend rebuked her remark in the name of Jesus. I thought it was odd, it was a remark meant to be funny and with absolutely no malice whatsoever but I hadn't been around this person and let it go. Then we were talking about men and motorcycles and I brought up my dilemma with DH and said he had to do the paperwork to get the bike, I would do all the funeral planning. Then, My statement was rebuked in the name of Jesus.

In my rush to judgement to now label her as crazy, I didn't go on to explain to her that I was dead serious and that by not fighting my husband on the motorcycle thing, I realize that alot of what happens to us has to do with our choices. Sometimes, the devil can just sit back and relax as we go about out lives - Read The Screwtape Letters by C.S.Lewis - great perspective.

In saying all that, I don't want to close the door and label it as crazy, I am getting smart enough to try and take it all in and learn from it, good and bad. While I lean toward having her committed to 100 hours of Jesus training, there is a part of me that thinks this whole mindset comes from fear. Two statements, one obviously made in jest and the other in totally sincerity doesn't seem like the correct venue to play the rebuke card. I totally believe in rebuke and have used it, IMHO, this wasn't it. The conversation later turned to talk show host, Ellen DeGeneres who is a strong influence in the lesbian community and the same person had no issues with her or her influence. In fact, she adores Ellen. It was about then that I realized why there are many times, the dichotomy I see in the christian community, makes me want to do some strong rebuking of my own...