shelf life...



Shelf life, we all have one. Whether human, animal or anything else. The pastor gave a great visual today - he asked those under 25, how many of you have heard a sermon by Charles Swindoll? No hands were raised. When he asked those of us over 25, nearly every hand went up.

Pontiac announced last week that is was discontinuing the Pontiac line. The very cars of my youth, the GTO and Firebird are no longer desirable to the new generation. With green being in, I understand why. These gas hogs were all about cool and cool has changed.

I also learned last week that my digital camera has a shelf life. They say that my particular model of camera will need replacing at between 50.000 and 100.000 photos. I have a while to go but where I believed this camera would be my one and only, isn't looking like it now.

Just like the internet has made the newspaper virtually a dinosaur, the computer did the same to the typewriter. No longer do we have the same job or home. The average time that we have either of these is 3 years. Sometimes shelf life is dependent on culture, now technology is changing many areas of our lives. We don't fix things if we can buy them new, cheaper which is the case of many more things today than ever before.

The only place were the shelf life seems to be less of a force is music. Watched a Barbra Streisand concert on TV last night and even at 64, (concert was shot in 2006 -she turned 67 last Friday) there was no change in that gorgeous voice. She and I disagree on most everything but her songs have been a big part of up adult musical history. She opened the concert with a God song which I am sure she doesn't evern recognize, Somewhere...

There's a place for us
Somewhere a place for us
Peace and quiet and open air
Wait for us
Somewhere

There's a time for us
Some day a time for us
Time together and time to spare
Time to look, time to care
Someday
Somewhere

We'll find a new way of living
We'll find there's a way of forgiving
Somewhere

There's a place for us
A time and place for us
Hold my hand and we're halfway there
Hold my hand and I'll take you there
Somehow
Someday
Somewhere

While life gives and takes away, changes constantly and leaves us looking for something to hold on to, someday...