R.I.P. Earle Brewer...

There was so much to do on Saturday - getting ready for Easter and Miss M's 4th birthday. DH had a few days off and we had lots of errands to run. A funeral first thing Saturday morning was not on the agenda but there was never a question that we would start our day honoring Earle.

The service was at the funeral home - always thought Earle's funeral would be at the church but maybe because of Easter, they decided against it even though we were all invited to the lunch at said church, after the service. It was the first church I ever attended. I was 27 years old and had accepted Christ 6 months earlier. Took a while before we choose a place to go and the minute I walked in and heard a 90 year old man singing Amazing Grace, I knew this was where we would land.

Earle was our first Sunday School teacher. He was about the same age I am now. There was never a Sunday I didn't leave that class wanting to be a Brewer. Earle was the man and we took it all in. He not only knew some much about God but he believed it passionately. He passed that on to me - that is where I got it. I didn't realize that until yesterday at his funeral.

The place was packed out - people were standing in several rooms. For an 83 year old man, his audience seemed young. As they started with a slideshow, the family laughed and made comments thru the whole thing. However you came to meet Earle, you never forgot him. Guess that is why that little funeral home was overflowing. The pastor of said church has knowing the family for years - said church was always involved with the pastor's bio family and the mission field. Now he was the pastor and he was having a tough time making it thru, because it was Earle.

Much talk about Earle and his passion. Whether fishing, farming or just being himself, his passion was something that you could not get away from - even if you wanted to. Those if us who share passion as a personality trait come off as bigger than life. We don't mean too, it is just the way we are. 25 years ago, I didn't know that passion was such a big part of who I would become but looking back, no wonder Earle was my hero. He loved his family, passionately. He loved the church, even though he didn't agree with it sometimes. To sit in that sea of people, some related and some want to be's - it was obvious that if showing people that they are loved is the most important job one is ever given, alot of people got the message.

It was a few hours of time but it made my day. We weren't able to go to the luncheon but I saw his daughter when I walked in so she knew we were there. I hadn't seen Earle in several years and haven't sat in his classroom for more than 20. The last year, he was in a nursing home - not sure why but it must have been very difficult for him. He was an outdoorsman, through and through. Being dependent on a wheelchair must have been tough, for everybody.

Not sure Pearl can do without him. Never thought she would out live him. I can only imagine their kids are thinking the same thing. Would not be surprised to see her die soon of a broken heart. He truly loved Mama, oh how he loved her.

We left the funeral home and continued on with our To Do list but in the back of my mind, The Brewers were there. Today as they celebrate their first Easter without Earle, he is celebrating his first Easter in heaven. Imagine that...