going to church...



Got up yesterday, intending to go to church but didn't want to. Really didn't want to, on so many levels. Had pictures to play with, wanted to know who was preaching, don't like to go by myself and a million more things going thru my head. I'm not sure when I made the decision to go or ever what that process looked like but at the appointed time, I grabbed my journal and Diet Coke and headed off.

Got my seat and everything lined up and life was good. Then my friend showed up and said she had volunteered to greet and I heard the words come out of my mouth, I'll help you! Who said that - certainly not me. I had greeted some 13 years ago when we were a small group and decided it was not my gift and never did it again but here I am - greeting.

Say Good Morning, hand out a bulletin. It really wasn't so bad. Some couples prefer to share and some want their own. I am sure after a while you would remember who wants what. Some who don't want one at all, tell you they can't read which makes them seem like a bad comedian. Just say you don't want one - would you really rather appear illiterate than own up to not wanting a bulletin? Really?

With two greeters on either side, you have the Huggeing Pastor in the middle. I avoid him, every chance I can. I will decide who hugs me and he is not on the list but it did give me a chance to see how other people react. There were those like me who took an instant dive to the right or left to miss the hug but there were a great many more who ran into his waiting arms. Little kids, and big kids all wanted a hug from Pastor Hugger. Like they had been waiting all week for it. Like they couldn't live without it. After a half hour of greeting and hugging, I had a better idea of why I wasn't home, playing in Lightroom.

For whatever the Reason, my attitude was a bit different coming out of church than going in. Will it make it easier next time I go? I think not. I am not looking for easier, or even an explanation. There are signs everywhere ( Thanks L) of why people have a hard time going to church. These two are across the street form each other. The thing is, it's not about the people or the music or the politics - it is about Jesus calling the church, His Bride and try as I may, I have not found a way around it. You don't have to like it to go, you just t\have to go. You might learn something about yourself or Him. That I am up for...