the 12 disciples...



It has been a cold, windy stay-inside type of weekend. Off and on for the last two days, I have immersed myself back in the West Wing series. I am guessing we will not see TV like this again - there is Something about it that speaks to me on a very emotional level. Politics, religion, sarcasm and great thinking - what is not to love? On a very basic level, watching these Stories gave me back some of the perspective that I had lost last week. I am now back on track, thanks to President Bartlet, Toby, Josh, CJ, Sam and Mrs Landingham. These people, this fictional people I know like my own family.

During one of the scene, President Bartlet was talking to a serious, committed christian leader. He turned to the man who had been trying to explain his undying love to Jesus and asked the man, Who are the 12 disciples of Christ? The man hesitated and then named the 12. All of them. Seemed like a pretty fair question and as for me, I fell short, way short.

Shouldn't one who claims to be a follower or Jesus Christ be able to name his inner circle? Wouldn't you think that would be pretty basic material? I can honestly say, I don't remember a lesson where the names of those disciples ever came up. We have all seen the Last Supper either in photos or live performance. Most of us, followers or not - have heard of Judas. Growing up, I heard his name daily. I didn't know who he was but I knew if someone was mad, his name would be coming up pretty quick.

So, I Googled them, put them in alphabetical order and am working on memorizing them. Maybe it's not a big deal but to me it is. This is something I should know. Not for bragging rights or to be spiritual superior but because for me, it is the right thing to do. I am not there yet. I have always had a bad memory and it ain't getting any better but I am working on it. Those who Jesus chose to mentor, they need a place in my heart.

Peter
Andrew
James, brother of John
John
Philip
Bartholomew
Matthew
Thomas
Thaddeus
Simon
James, the less
Judas

Paul replaced Peter
Mattias replaced Judas