RJZ...



I was checking out the goods at Grandma Sue's garage sale this summer and came across this old suitcase. I thought it was cool and then I saw the initials - RJZ. I knew GSue's dad was Robert Zander so I asked it this was her dad's and it was. I grabbed it up. I couldn't let anyone else buy it. I needed to keep it for the kids, they have a strange attachment to this man they have never met but discuss quite a bit.

When Keaton was younger, he talked about him all the time. It was a bit eery - like the two of them were conversing. Keaton talked about him like he lived across the street. He died many years ago - of a heart attack while camping. My daughter never met him but the Stories have kept him alive to all of us.

So, I paid my $2 and brought the suitcase home. I am keeping it for the kids - not sure that they will be thrilled but don't want to miss the chance to keep this piece of their Story for them. His wife Gigi, is a delight to all of us. She has been in declining health but still, every time you see her, she is so glad to see you even if she doesn't recognize you. She misses her man and will be with him soon. We don't have any luggage of hers but we have had her around and many memories that will last forever.

If Morgan had been a boy, I suggested Zander as the name of choice. I think I had a pretty good chance of that happening and still thought it would be good when we found out she was a girl but it was not to be. We semi kid that if there were anymore Smith babies (which no one anticipates), we know it would be twin boys and then the race for name #2 would be on. That and a lot of other things.

We used RJZ suitcase for Miss H's photoshoot last week. Probably should use it in one of the kids shoot this weekend but not sure that if fits the theme. Maybe it seems strange that I would be the one preserving family history for another but I really feel, it is my lot. My grandkids have a rich and colorful family history on both sides. From Spain to Costa Rica, there are many, many Stories that merged and now have become, their Story. I hope to leave them a suitcase of memories so they can add to it and pass the suitcase on...