There's no place like home...



Ruby slippers - there not just for wishing, they look darn good too. Girls are about looking good while boys believe it is all about superheros. While they would seem to be miles apart I think they lead to the same journey. One that will carry us from place to place. One that gives us the lives we have because of the choices.

Regardless of that journey, on of the paths lead each of us home. Home, the place we rest, recharge and hang until its is time to go out and love the world again. It is where we think our deepest thoughts, veg out in the front of the TV and make the best frappuccinos ever. It is not about how many bedrooms and bathrooms we have, it is about making it a safe, inviting place for those who live there. It is making the best of what you have and appreciating it. Now, imagine not having a home.

In my town of over 80,000 there are 500 homeless kids in the school district.Last year, there were 149. There is also a new classification of families - car families. The truth is this is unfamiliar territory. Imagine trying to care about school when you have no place to live and not sure if you are going to eat. It makes me cringe and it makes me think about how I spend my money. The whole flu thing has been making me crazy last week. I am on Facebook and Twitter while there are people all around who have no way to tweet and if they did, what would they say? I am hungry, cold and have no where to study.

There's no place like home - Dorothy was right, she was oh so right...