the familiar...



As you can always count on there being a pumpkin patch in your future during the fall season, there are other things were the familiar often stand alone.

Gage and I had been out shopping a few weeks ago - one of the things we both like is old books. We were checking out them out at the Grace Place, and he started asking questions about the hymnals. He handed me a red Nazarene one and said, Did you use to to use these at your old church? When I answered yes, he had to own it.

I understand why. In his short 7 years, he has only known 2 churches and both use continually changing music on overhead screens. The Church of the last 15 years has seen music that changes with the season, with the year, with the whim of the music director. Many churches are this way and this has been his experience. He needed more and I get it.

As I read through the first pages of that familiar songbook, the words of the old songs came rushing back. I admit, I longed for a Nazarene sing a long. Something happens when choices are limited. Most of the time we think of that as a bad thing but sometimes, not so. In fact sometimes, it feels awfully good...