simon says...


It occurred to me this morning as I was at Miss M's preschool that maybe it was time to play Simon Says. It was Miss M's birthday and her mommy was the teacher, and I, the helper. I thought it was just me but later when the teachers remarked that it was quite the Monday, realized it wasn't just me and the kids were indeed, bouncing off the walls.

At one point as the boys were going wild and the rain outside made it impossible to send them out for some much needed outside play, playing Simon Says seemed like a possible diversion for a few minutes. I haven't thought about Simon Says in forever. A non-tech game that is dependent on listening and remembering. I remember when the first electronic one came out. Loved it ...at first. Then with a long string of colors and beeps, it left me behind in the dust. As I sat there wondering if these 4 and 5 year olds had ever heard of SS, it occurred to me that it may not be the best choice for them.

We all play Simon Says in every season of our lives. Sometimes as just a game - for fun and Sometimes, for Real. It dawned on me that the Church, with all it faults, has been guilty of playing Simon Says not only on a regular basis but never for fun. You are in the game...as long as you do exactly what Simon says. The minute you deviate from the strict system that Simon has created, you are out of the game. You could probably say it is the same system that prisons and schools use to keep their charges in line. Does it work? Those who learn the rules and abide by them without thought, learn very little. Those who don't or can't learn, have a hard go of it.

Maybe Simon Says isn't the best thing to teach children. Maybe Simon Says isn't good for any of us. All I know is this morning I woke up thinking it was a harmless game and now, I am not so sure...