drinking the Kool-Aid...

Drinking the Kool-Aid,
To become a firm believer in something; to accept an argument or philosophy whole-heartedly.

Older folks will remember this from Jonestown and the terrible loss of life. These days, it seems to refer to anything that you totally believe in. My personal Kool-Aid, is pretty apparent.

Reading one of my favorite authors, Sarah Vowell now and her upbringing and religious history are just the opposite of mine. She was raised in a gospel-beliving home and later, became an atheist and I did the atheist thing first, later on - found Jesus.

It reminded me in my higher thinking class on Sunday, that growing up, there was no doubt in my mind that my father was right. All had been proved and I was good to go for the rest of my life. When Jesus came in with this less that believable Story, proof was the essense of what I needed to even begin to change my thinking.

After all these years, the whole Story of Jesus has not been proved to me. Not once Story, but it has been validated in a million ways. One of the christian arguments is always, well, you don't know how a car works but you trust every morning when you get in, it starts immediately. That particular Kool-Aid never spoke to me and in my quest for proof, didn't get me very far down the road.

So, one Kool-Aid was proven to me and the other was found valid yet I chose the one that makes little sense, can't be proven and gets you no reward card when you sign up? Call it what you want but for me, it makes all the sense in the world...