saving...


If I were to believe this sign, it would make incredible sense to do all my Christmas shopping here. In this town, in this store. They must have done all the leg work, compared all the costs so, this must be it. This is the place to come, this is the place to save.

Only problem is, this is a grocery store and while their prices are very good - if saving were my goal, most everyone on my Christmas shopping list would be sorely disappointed.

Had an encounter with an couple of extreme couponers the other day. Disclaimer - if you are an extreme couponer, and I mean extreme not just a casual or dedicated cutter of coupons but one of those who has $30,000 of inventory in the basement and spends 40 hours a week with pre shopping trips to scout for more, there maybe unresolved issues in your life that need attention.

I needed a tube of toothpaste. Just one. I hadn't noticed what was in their carts but as I looked at the toothpaste shelf and noticed my brand and a few other were all gone, I said Something out loud about, where did all the toothpaste go? I turned to look in these ladies carts and between them both, found out where all the toothpaste had gone. They sheeply put a few back, I grabbed my one and left.

It is good to save, guys. It is a responsible, good thing to make your money go as far as it can go. Most of us will hit more than a few stores in the next month and be looking to save, to grab a few deals to make a few smiles. Saving, like most everything in life can go too far. Over the edge and out the emotional door like a railroad car, out of control. Is is worth it to wrestle a sweater from another shopper over the saving of a few bucks? There was a time when, I thought it was. No more...