a long, long time ago...


I have thought about this photo all week. Took me a while to find it but there it was, in the Hummer folder in 2006. Gage was three and had an unnatural Love for Hummers. So one day, I packed him up and headed to the Hummer dealer. I took this while I looked for a salesman. I needed someone that would understand that while there would be no sale from us that day, this was an awesome opportunity to throw a little car love our way.

After explaining that a Real Love for Hummers had brought us here, what we were asking was to let a little boy, climb around the car of his dreams and that, he got to do. He was told to pick out any one he wanted. How do you pick from 20 Hummers? Finally, the yellow one won him over and he crawled over every inch of that motor vehicle. He wasn't rushed and when he had enough of the new car smell, we were off for ice cream.

That was 6 years ago. When I asked him the other day what he was listening to on his Nano, he told me what his latest fav was. Every time I see K, G or Miss M, I always ask about what is going on in their heads. Music, apps, sports, fingernail polish. We still take these field trips. Keaton is all about the City. He loves the feel of urban life. Gage is my football guy. We had an in depth convo about the NFL Draft this week. I researched it before our talk and he was quite impressed that he didn't have to explain very much to me. As for Miss M, she is into much of what the brothers, as she calls them, are. She loves their music and can keep up with them, step by step. She knows the song lyrics as well as they do but still likes her girl things.

When I look back at this photo, it reminds me of what is important. To honor the little things, to make time for what seems would be impossible. It also reminds me, that listening may be one of the most important things we can do for each other. Sorry dude, they don't make Hummers any more but wait until I introduce you to a Porsche 911. We would look so cool in that on your 21st birthday! I can hardly wait...