remember...


We live in the boonies, or at least what use to be. DH's aunt tells us that her and her first husband's dairy, is where our house stands now. The cemetary less than a 1/2 mile is living proof to that. Surrounded by houses and one of three high schools, I imagine the city planners never thought that we would all share this cozy space together.

Maybe we have never been home at 11AM on Memorial Day in the last 14 years. This year, as I headed to town, the streets, in both directions, were wall to wall cars. A celebration of those who fought and gave their lives for our country, stood at attention, listening intently.

I have never attended a Memorial Day service. My father and grandfather were veterans but the holiday was always celebrated with picnics. I can remeber thinking as a kid that Memorial Day was for all people who had died, I was an adult before I learned differently. I hope the next generation doesn't forget and will take the responsibility to continue to honor because of people like Marine Sgt. William Stacey.

He was on his fourth deployment when he was kileed by a homemade bomb in Afghanistan earlier this year. He had written a letter to his family that was to be read in the event of his death. It was read during a Memorial Day service in Afghanistan yesterday by Marine General John Allen.

My death did not change the world, it may be tough for you to justify its meaning at all. But there is a greater meaning to it.

Perhaps I did not change the world. Perhaps there is still injustice in the world. But there will be a child who will live because men left the security they enjoyed in the home country to come to his. And this child will learn in the news schools that have been built. He will walk his streets not worried about whether or not his leader's henchman are going to come and kidnap him. He will grow into a fine young man who will pursue every opportunity his heart could desire. He will have the gift of freedom, which I have enjoyed for so long.

If my life buys the safety of a child who will one day change the world, that I know it was all worth it.

Semper Fidelis means always faithful,. Always faithful to God, Country and Corps. Always faithful to the principles and beliefs that guided me into the service. And on that day in October when I placed my hand on a bible and swore to defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, I meant it. Marine
Sgt. William Stacey.

From his mouth to God's ear...