no importance whatsoever versus essential...

What a great weekend! The fab four sure did deliver - from the warm comfort zone of a great Thanksgiving to the milestone of yet another bday and anniversary, we had it all. Black Friday was the day that tested me the most. Showed up at Best Buy at 4AM, an hour before they opened to a line that snaked around the whole building and then some. We stood in line for about 15 minutes until we heard that EVERYTHING was gone. We got back in the car and were home before the doors opened. Disappointed, I took a little nap before heading back to get Brandi and the boys for more shopping. We had a great rest of the day - I was just along for the fun and was not disappointed.

Dh came to pick me up and still wanted to go back to Best Buy. I was still a little mad at them but not TOO mad. So we walk in at 535PM and one of the items I wanted, a digital picture frame, was just sitting there on a shelf. Nobody knew why they had one - by rights, they could have sold it many times over but there it was, waiting for me. As I shared my find with one of the clerks, he said he had in in THAT line. He got there at 4PM Thanksgiving Day and was number 6 in line. I started not to feel so mad anymore. There was NO WAY I would have giving up my Thanksgiving time to wait in line for anything...Perspective started to come back and my mind stared to clear.

Earlier in the day, we saw this nicely dressed older woman holding her Shop At Kmart sign in one hand and waving to all of us with her other. Kmart is about 6 or 7 miles from where she was walking about but at busy intersection with a great mall. I couldn't imagine why she would be doing it and I felt bad for her. I wondered if she felt desperate or was embarrassed. I hoped at least one person made the trek to Kmart because of her although if I was a betting woman - I would doubt it. How did we get to this point? Both of us in our own ways looking for a little perspective.

Today is Cyber Monday - it is suppose to be the biggest on line shopping day of the year. When you're a digi scrapper, Everyday is a potential cyber day but I get the idea. I have changed my philosopy of Black Friday - there will be no more shopping for specific items, no getting up at 300am to be the 2500 person in line and no expectations. Will be leaving those at home but what I will take with me is the idea of a fun day with family and the start of the holiday season. More about hearing the Salvation Army bell ringing and less about what is in my bag as I rush pass the red kettle to my overflowing car...God bless us, each one...