sir Paul...


DH and I love the Beatles. Maybe it is Paul that we love. We picked up his The Space Within Us concert at Costco Saturday and looked forward to getting home and having us a Pennylane hoedown. Beyond the music, this is great study of our culture and values. Where else could you see Billy Joel, Jack Nicholson and Bill Clinton in one place on the same emotional page? Bono, John Cusack and Clint Black. Wrap your head around James Taylor and Tony Bennett being in the audience jamming to the beat. In between concert footage, there are explanations from professors and politicians trying to explain the over 40 years of sir Paul's influence on us. I was amazed by the younger people who knew every word of his songs. He transcends generations and continents. There is footage of 3 generations of families dancing, crying and grooving to the beat. He is an icon not only to my generation but my grandkids - that is quite a legacy.

We walked into church Sunday morning to a flurry of activity. For the first time in over 10 years the set up crew forgot to - set up. There were 3 pastors that had been putting up almost 500 chairs and when we walked in 15 minutes before the service is suppose to start, they were still hustling to get the last 50 chairs in place. While they scurried about, I grabbed my camera to get the shot. They finished in plenty of time and no one was the wiser and I knew I had my first sir Paul layout. For me, it is the perfect marriage of the visual and the written - words that have stayed with me for 40 years to the visuals of today. I plan to scrap sir Paul's lyrics as the photos come.

The idea began to grow as the service progressed and as I doodled in my journal with song lyrics running thru my head, my Christmas theme became clear. I Believe in Yesterday.

The Jesus of my Yesterday is the reason I am where I am today.
What happened over 2000 years ago is why I stand where I do today.
I believe in yesterday and that is why I stand where I do today.

I have a few more days of my personal Thanksgiving season - Christmas is knocking hard on my door, hard and fast. I want to spend these last few days wrapped in gratitude and content in spirit. I love this Thanksgiving week. It is short week, kids are out of school and our minds are on turkey and mashed pototoes. All is good with the world and we want to enjoy the last hurrah of autumn before Black Friday. I have pockets of time to just be because we all know that, tomorrow may rain but I'll follow the Son...