Thanksgiving...






It's almost midnight but my day is just starting. DH just left for a late shift and I have had my nap. Yesterday was a long day and the election returns are keeping me company. Our country made a big shift tonight. For so many different reasons, you would be hard pressed to pick just one. In my state, the local news reported at 10PM that there were still people in line waiting to vote and it would be midnight before everyone would be given the opportunity to exercise their right to do so.

I walked into my voting precinct and saw a friend of my daughter's that teaches school there. She told me to come visit when I finished so I stopped by her classroom on my way out and we had a pretty heavy, promptu conversation. She is dealing with her mom whose dementia is exploding and has to be dealt with. She didn't think she would find herself in this position ...yet. We talked, she shed a few tears and it was moment that was meant to be. I don't think it had much to do with voting - sometimes there is More.

My personal Thanksgiving starts the morning after Halloween and last until midnight Thanksgiving Day. I take these few weeks to look back over the year and be in those moments with a heart of gratitude. It's about getting grounded before heading into the crazyness of Christmas - I don't want to forget what is important.

Today, it was about living in country where you are free to exercise your right to vote without fear. To live in this great country with those who think like you do and those who don't. People will come and go, policies will come and go - it is the cycle of life. Politics have no effect on God. They never have. He works thru kings and paupers, friend and foe and blue and red states.

My Thankgiving continues. It is state of mind that I so look forward to every year. The colors of autumn, the crispness in the air and thankfulness that seems a little clearer for these few short weeks are more that enough for me to be still and know...