one on one...


It was a dark and rainy day. School was out for parent-teacher conferences and we needed to get out. We grabbed the boys and Miss M and headed for the mall. It was their idea to go but we didn't get to the Disney store or Mrs Field's fast enough so as we were passing thru Dillard's, Gage gave the drama queen performance of his life and then, Keaton. I laughed and grabbed my camera while mommy was horrified. Miss M was safely strapped in her stroller or she would have been right in the middle of them.

The mall outing was a success and we finally made our way to everywhere we wanted to go and a few more. It was time to head home. Later that evening, Keaton would get his first report card of the year and hear his teacher's comments via his mommy and daddy. I will hear this morning how it went but I already have a good idea of what she thinks - we've talked and she loves him.

Quite a change from last year when he had the worstteacherinthehistoryoftheworldever. He has taken some time for him to feel worthy again. This new teacher knows what he went through and has given him what he needed to build back some confidence. He loves his teacher this year and is not the same kid. That is what one on one does for you.

Whether big person or small, we all thrive on, one on one attention. There is something about that smallness of community that we grow and develop. It doesn't have to be an on-going relationship. For the last nine years, since I have been home, most of my time has been learning to be in the moment. Being aware and learning to focus has brought me many encounters that I would never have seen before. Some have been lasting and some, very fleeting. DH and I were talking about this the other day and I told him if it ended today, I would still be the luckiest girl ever to have experienced what I have. You don't have to be a teacher or a people lover, you just have to be available.

I love Mrs C for what she has done for Keaton. I love to see Keaton spread that love to others like he does. Whatever comes our way today, may be be able to show that Love, one on one...