Denmark...



An international study shows that the happiest people in the world live in Denmark. The Danes came in first - the US came in 22nd. They don't look particularly happy. They are a somber lot. We Americans, on the other hand, would seem to be a happier lot. We are big smilers, most of the time.

One of the reasons the study gave for this unseeming poll was the somberness of these people. Low expectations are the way they live their lives so when Something good happens, they appear to be over the moon. A Danish man said if they had come in at 22nd, the Danes would have been impressed with that ranking. We who chase the American Dream, start with the bar at a impossibly high mark. How difficult it would be to reach any state of happiness. It explains alot about us.

With the death of sick poppa and for many family reasons, the last few days have been tough. Yesterday, I was mad at a list of people, places and things. It took me until 3AM this morning to humble myself and let it go. I think my expectations have been too high. Funny that passion would be my theme for this year and less than 50 days in, I am at the top of the scale. I need to give myself some slack - the last five days have had us on a dead run. Now, there is silence and I am unable to let myself just be. Maybe it will just take some time. I think I am able to do that now.

So, the happiest people don't look it. I think I understand that. One Dane said he thinks it is more about being content. If you are content on a long term basis, the things that we think would bring that contentment - money, fame, security - would seem not to be the criteria that we have always attributed to our contentment.

Tomorrow is a new day and I am looking forward to moving on. It is a process and many times, I am guilty of forgetting that. Another day to learn, another day to look at myself and others and move on...