standing still...



This was Keaton almost 5 1/2 years ago. I had just started digi scrapping and he was my constant and perfect inspiration. There was no Gage or Miss M to share the Love so he and I learned together all about this photography thing.

Fast forward to today. He is still a great sport about having his pictures taken but he is growing up and these days of his almost 9 year old flexiblility won't last forever. Life keeps taking us in a forward motion but we humans are not so flexible. We are either going forward or backward. If we are standing still, we can't maintain it for long periods of time. Even when we think we are able to just tread forever, if we are truthful with ourselves, that probably isn't the reality of the situation.

The most important lesson I ever learned abut this treading time came from my first pastor. To paraphrase, When you find yourself treading water - hold on to what you know. I have been standing still literally for most of January. I can't say there weren't days that it felt like I was losing ground and a few days, that were beyond fabulous. What I have decided is all three have a place in my life. Alone, I could never sustain any of them for long but I am not by myself. When the way gets foggy, I just have to wait until the air clears - and it always does.

I got a call today from the people who fertilize my lawn every year. I am looking out the window at 6" of snow and the guy on the other side of the phone is talking about my first application in 4 weeks. I realized at that moment that I had been standing still for way too long and it is time to start moving forward and forward is the direction I am heading...