the end of an era...

At one time, my living room seating consisted of 9 rocking chairs. Just rocking chairs, all wooden - different shapes and sizes. I had got the idea from DH aunt's home. She had a gigantic living room with windows on three sides that overlooked the mountains. No matter where you sat, you had a perfect view and could rock your little heart out.

Rocking has been a big part of my life. I will always go for the chair that doesn't stand still, anywhere I go. The dealership where I have my oil changes, has a high-back Mission rocker that I always claim for my time there. My best garage sale buy was a $25 low back Mission rocker that I have had for almost 20 years. All that changed today.

It has more to do with comfort these days. DH wanted some comfy chairs and I agreed it was time so we found some we both liked and they have settled in like they belong there. I knew I would have to sell the 3 remaining rockers I had to pay for the new chairs but held out hope that it would be different. Along with the yard sale chair, was one of the nicest rockers I ever owned. Beautiful oak and a tufted seat. The third was the rocking chair I bought for my new baby 36 years ago. While still sturdy, it was nothing to hold on to for any of the babies. Brandi said, let it go.

My BIL has a little side business of selling antiques so he bought all three of them. Peter The Organizer says if you are attached to something because of a memory, take a picture of it and keep that. I thought about it but the memory of each will stay with me forever or as long as my memory stays with me so I didn't need to take a picture. As he loaded them into his pick-up, I said goodbye to each of them and thanked them for their service. My BIL understood or at least, acted like I wasn't completely off my rocker...

The rest of the day was a little lonely as I made my way through each room and my friends were gone. The end of an era. I am proud of myself for letting go and if letting go isn't what life is really about - what is?