R.I.P.

The phone rang at 419AM. Steve should have been home by now - why would he be calling? I had forgotten last night's phone call...

The VA called - sick poppa's (the nickname the kids gave ggdad when he went into the VA home) heart was racing and he was unresponsive. The doctor had called several weeks ago and talked about colon cancer. He asked how we wanted to handle it and we had already decided no treatment - just keep him comfortable and that is exactly what happened.

I worry about Ken now, his roommate. I would never have guessed that sick poppa would go before Ken. They looked out for each other - when Ken was gone for a few weeks several years ago, sick poppa was lost. Even the staff noticed the difference when he came back. I hope Ken takes to his new roommate half as well.

DH had to go back to work at midnite and I couldn't sleep. turned off all the lights and played a Michael McDonald concert on my computer. Lights off, the only glow is coming from the computer screen, I am listening but not watching. I was fully aware of the Moment. I didn't know what the next 24 hours would hold but I was certainly of who held them.

Kenny Loggins, This Is It, just blew me away... the waiting is over, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

Patty Austin's, You Belong To Me, says it all.

And the Doobie Brothers, Taking It To The Street,reminds me of what to do next - Take this message to my brother, you will find him anywhere.

Wendy said he went peacefully. She called the funeral home. I called my husband then his sister. We need to go to the home to pick up his things this morning. There is a waiting list at the home - I remember we had to wait for a bed a little over 3 years ago. Now it is our turn to give up and back.

When the doctor had called with the cancer diagnosis, Gage had heard the Talk going on about the whole thing. He told his mom IF he had any valentines left and IF sick poppa wasn't dead, he wanted to give him one on Valentine's Day. Coming from Gage, that is Love and life must go on...