the stocks and bonds of life...



Wish I could have seen the big Twitter thing coming - would have moved my 401K money over there. They have experienced a 900% increase in the last year. I am lost when trying to figure out where to put our money these days. It is not even about making money, just not losing it every day.

Speaking of losing everyday, there is more debate about the downfall of the newspaper. Colorado closed the doors on their 150 year old paper and many more are following suit. I talked about this last year when I applied to be on the editorial board of the local newspaper. I was a bit upset that I wasn't pick but less than a week later my FIL passed away and a few weeks after that I was doing very glad that I didn't have that weekly commitment. This year, I am glad for different reasons.

In an interview conducted by a local TV channel, the newspaper admits to a combination of the economy and change in technology for the newspapers woes. I think they are being a bit shortsighted - the economy will get better but no one is going back to the caveman way of getting our news. That ship has sailed and it is only going one direction. The news I read in the paper at 630AM was the news I read on the internet at 630AM Saturday and Sunday. I read nothing I didn't already know. If it wasn't for DH, I would be keeping my $130/year and invest it elsewhere. It doesn't make sense to invest in a for sure, unsure thing. If you close to retirement age, like we are - you probably aren't putting lots of money in 401K right now. If you are 30, you would be wise to put all you can in your account. You have the time to wait it out and there is potential for a large gain. If I were to throw everything in the pot, that would be a very unwise and perhaps, end with tragic financial results.

Sorry, Newspaper, it is your turn to die a natural death. No bailout or TARP funds can save you now. You are a victim of a much bigger monster - one you can't fight and have no way of winning. Your readers are a dying breed and the new generation just isn't interested in you - they have gone a completely different way and you can't compete on their level. As your generation of readers, the 60-80 year old's die off, so will you. Just like the dinosaurs, you have run your course. On behalf of those who have read and used the paper for years, thank you but the closing bell has rung, your stock now worth less than a penny a share and your investors have all scattered. Enjoy the rest of your days - Hakuna Matata.

PS Not trying to be snarky - maybe Little River Band's, Cool Change would be a better fit but the idea is the same. Just read today where the Seattle paper is going to the web only. It is a new world, we will all need to make changes, like it or not.