the marriage bed...



I saw a family photo on Tara Whitney's blog last week and it just set this whole idea in motion. She had all her family just come up on the bed, turned on the self timer and made magic.

I want to think that it is the same bed that she and her hubby made all their babies on. It is also the place she nursed them, read to them and brought them after a scary dream. Maybe that is a bit naive..but it is most certainly, working for me.

This is our fifth bed in thirty eight and a half years. The first one is the one we made our baby in. It was also in that bed that I realized Something was wrong one morning when I couldn't get out of said waterbed and soon found out I was pregnant, There were a more waterbeds to come and finally three years ago, when I got out of bed in the middle of the night and my feet were wet, the waterbed era came to an end. We are now on one of those therapeutic mattress and all is good with the world. In a perfect world, we would still be sleeping on that first bed. Not because of comfort but rather because of history.

The marriage bed is a Place like no other. Everything takes place here. From eating and drinking to play and lets just say, more play. We watch movies, read books, talk and argue. Many, many conversations - some fun, some not so fun, take place here. It is a Place to go when you are cold, whether from the world or the weather. It is a Place where you should spend some of that hard earned money. Sheets that make you swoon, a bedspread that makes you smile. I am not talking about spending the family fortune. Microfiber ones from Costco that cost $30 and they feet so good. I do much of my prayer here and it always occurs to me, there is no place I would rather be.

When I am by myself, it is never by choice. As the years go by, I think about how Someday, one of us will be sleeping alone, not by choice. I love those nights when I decide to bring out my stand up comedy routine and there is so much laughing going on. I also think about those night when it is ice cold, although nothing has changed but those in the bed.

The marriage bed is a magical Place. I wouldn't trade mine for the world...