the Sabbath...




My literary companion for the last week has been Dan Allendar's, Sabbath. Usually blow through a book but this one has been one that makes that speed, seem unlikely.

...The Sabbath is the day we play in the light of unrammeled freshness.

What I know about the Sabbath is a bunch of do's and don'ts without a lot of freshness involved. When I have picked up any knowledge of a religion, one of the first things I have been taught is what the rules are for Sundays. The most importance one is church comes first. My understanding has always been that going to church covers a multitude of other sins. The other perspective that less is more. TO not work is the thing that is pleasing - replace it with going to the movies or whatever you do for rest and relaxation.

Growing up, Sunday was a day of dread. When I was small, it was the day my hair got washed and air-dried while sitting on the furnace, Hated every moment of it. Later on, after getting my first hair cut at age 12, it just became the day before school which held equal dread. Can't say that going from an atheists to a believer changed my opinion of Sunday. One was dread, the other obligation - both lacked much joy or happiness.

Sabbath joy is far deeper that mere pleasure, or even happiness

It's not that you can or can't do these activities, it is the attitude of the day. It is a day to totally be in the Moment. To take those activities, even the do's and don'ts and replace them with a new mindset.

We are to clear the way on this day all the debris from the past week and the week ahead - and turn our ears to his delight.

Play in the light of unrammeled freshness - I can hardly wait for Sunday...