coasters...


I am not much of a coaster gal. Coasters, tablecloths, placemats and runners. I don't have the time or energy. My house is covered in oak and I decided a long time that trying to protect their finish was not in my DNA. My dining room table is a old square quarter-sawn oak table and I wash it off with soap and water, several times a day. That might make a collecter want to cry but fits me to a T.

I do howeever own 2 coasters. One was a gift. It sits by my nightstand, basically as a icon. Chocolate is the answer, no matter what the question is. While there is much truth in it, I often exchange, "Jesus" for "Chocolate", I find it a great reminder after a long day or the start of a new one. The second one, I bought myself. I was sent to check out a new little store that opened in town. There were alot of house decorations and then a coaster display toward the front of the store. I gave the display a once over and my eyes landed on this coaster. "Wherever you go, go with all your heart". I knew where this one would land - right by my keyboard. When I am at my computer, the coaster is there. When I saw it at the store, it reminded me of what my DH always tells me, "You feel everything so deep". Not sure that he means it as a compliment but over the years, it has helped me understand myself better. Either, I don't care one bit or I am passionately involved with all my being. My icon coaster reminds me to balance and be in the moment. Its not there to protect my computer table from the stain of a diet coke can but to protect my heart from the stain of being oblivious. I think of the emotional "coasters" I have worn over the years to protect myself from being saturated by those things that may distort. My lacquered finish has thickened through the years, thick where it should be thin and maybe even, thin where it should be thicker. I don't know where this day will take me, but I leave with great hope...