deep conversations...


Yesterday was a day filled with surprises. My phone rang at 7am and thinking something was wrong it was my ex stepmother calling. Long Story but we have been connected since we met. I was 17, she barely 10 years older with a three year old. Long after my father was out of the picture for both of us, we have had a wonderful relationship and we always pick up where we left off. She has experimented with every religion in town and finally choose Christianity a few years ago. We still have spirited and heated discussions and yesterday was no exception.

This time the topic was blacks and how unfair life has been to them. She has a black friend and is learning to see the world thru his eyes. My position is that life is unfair, no matter what color you are and if Christ is real in your life, you accept the hand you have been dealt - whatever unfairness has been tossed your way, you make it work. An hour and a half later, we laughed and I felt like I had been able to take in a deep breath and exhale satisfaction.

There were several more times that deep conversations were part of my day. In one, all I could do is listen. It was a time where comfort was needed not more pain. It was not a time of give and take, it was a time to just give undivided attention. Sometimes that is our part in a conversation - just to be there.

There were even a few moments of good, deep conversation at our digi get-together last night. In between the silly moments, we shared and got caught up with each other's lives. Because we have known each other for various but long periods of time, we fall into a natural rhythm where we can immediately fall into deep conversations. I walked away last night, feeling like I had just had a big steak - satisfied and full.

I am headed for another potential deep conversation this morning - and I can't wait. I walk away from these times seeing the world through someone else's eyes and sometimes I think that is the only message Jesus wants me to really get - See it thru their eyes, it will make all the difference in yours...