hair today, gone tomorrow...



Yesterday was the Big Day and it went off without a hitch. Miss M saw the pink cape and gladly climbed up in the chair of beauty and was ready to do. Gage continued on with his Shirley Temple - he can't get enough of marachino cherries and wanted to make sure he got to take the rest of them home. Mommy and Auntie Mel figured out how much bangs she would need and now she looks liek a big girl girl, I think she looks young, everybody else thinks she looks older. The best part is that she can see now. Only her bangs were involved, not sure she will have a full haircut for a long time. I get that - except for bangs, I didn't have a haircut until I was almost a teenager.

My father and uncle went to beauty school to meet women and there is where it finally happened. My sister and I were taken, like lambs to the slaughter, where these two men used us as practice dummies. It basically looked like they had put a bowl on our heads and cut around it. I remember hearing all the girls moan and groan as the hair fell to the ground. I think the boys got a lot of date mileage out of it but I also remember liking it. No more Sunday nights sitting on the furnace waiting for it to dry. It was easier to take care of - I was the one who got sent home from kindergarten because I had got myself ready for school and there was some kind of hair issue. All these years, I kept my hair short. My sister grew hers back immediately and it stayed that way. Until now.

Her hair is the shortest it has ever been and mine is longest than it's ever been. I don't know that either of us planned it that way and now that we live a mile apart, it is really obvious. We also look more alike than ever. Those Pictures That Lie of our childhood don't have us looking alike as much as we do now but those are the facts.

Women and hair - whether you are two or 102, it is always part of who we are. It always matters and we will buy anything that we perceive will make it better, stronger, thicker or will wash that gray right out of our hair. It is a lifelong love/hate relationship and Miss M is just starting her journey. Looks like she has got it all, under control...

ps. for Cheryl -my 6 oddities... ok, girl, here ya go...1. hate lotion on my feet. 2. scrambled eggs must have mayo in them. 3. Diet Coke is breakfest, lunch and dinner. 4. feet have to be outside of blankets in bed. 5. have to watch the garage door come all the way down to remember I closed it and last by not least, 6. must have TV on to go to sleep...Happy Friday