not summer yet...



Gage and I had this conversation the other day. After trying to explain the calendar thing to him, he looks at me with complete shock and utter despair that he would have to explain it to me. He said, Look outside...it is warm...it is summer. He almost had me convinced.

When my good sense came back to me, I check the calendar and we still have 12 days until summer but I got to tell you, the warm weather, the kids riding their bikes around the neighborhood and The Beach Boys singing in the background - made me long for the summers of my imagination.

Those summers you read about it books and see in movies, where families go to a beach house for a month, spending their days and nights doing what everyone should be doing in the summer - next to nothing. Summer should be a season of perpetual nothingness.

We Americans live in a world where we barely notice the change of seasons. Classes, clubs and groups are starting to continue meeting all thru the summer. No break - no rest - no fun. We have lost our summer innocence and we need to reclaim it.

Gage is right, the calendar should not be our point of reference for summer or a few other things. It also reminds me to be more spontaneous which it a bit tough for me. Being spontaneous is reminiscent of being a kid and fighting for moments of life sobriety. Not summer yet, maybe not but in my heart, we have already arrived...