tug of war...



Yesterday was Fun Day at Keaton's school and we had a blast. Gage jumped in like he was part of the 3rd grade. The tug of war event seemed to be mighty popular and everyone gave it their all. There was a girls against boys war, a girl/boy mix and everyone's favorite - kids against parents. We parents went in a little bit too cocky and got our heinies kicked. One of the dad's who makes his living in sports, was dumbfounded at the strength of these third graders.

I haven't been on the end of a tug of war rope in years but in Real Life, I have been fighting the TOW battle all my life. We all have. In so many areas, not just holding on but actively pulling The Rope, my way. My Way, which when you are an anal, Type A personality - basically is always the Right Way. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be involved. Pulling with all my might in every area of my life. Holding on, giving up nothing. Sometimes I have done it when it has nothing to do with me. And if I am really truthful, I will jump in because I like pulling the rope.

Something I never thought about in TOW is that is a team sport. I have never seen a mono on mono TOW. It is always a group sport. There are also so many areas in our lives where we do the team thing. Pulling as a team until the other side fall flat on their faces. You can see examples of that in our everyday lives. The results are not as same as the game.

Maybe it would be better to actually play the game of tug of war more and do it less in our Real Lives. That might be just the thing. Better go to the store and buy a rope - summer and life are here...