old school...



It"s been 35 years since there has been a motorcycle in our driveway but that all changed today. We had gone back and forth, about when and if. He has paid his dues - we have a house and the kid are gone. On the other hand, when you have very little time to give to your family, everything seems like a threat.

It doesn't help that DD's best friend lost her dad in a motorcycle accident when the girls were in their early 20's. It makes a big impression and last forever. I have been a buffer between DH and DD for a long time on this whole motorcycle deal.. I understand both sides and if I had a say, I would choose not to own a bike again but I am not sure I can force that on a grown man. Actually, I know I can't.

Even if a fear is legitimate, sometimes you have to push through. Your fear is just that - yours. We all do things that are dangerous that seem crazy to others. I am more worried about the threat factor. We have had big, huge discussions about time away from family being invested in a motorcycle and I think he really gets it. If he forgets, he has me to remind him and remind him, I will.

The salesman was asking me about the bike and the seat - I stopped him dead in his tracks and explained, I was never going to be on the bike. When we were dating, we have a good crash. I was hurt bad enough with a leather jacket on, I will never go there again. Never. Once was enough for me. That is my fear and I will totally own it.

I hope we can all love each other through this and that old fears and feelings can be be reconciled. While I will worry every time he leaves the driveway, my prayers and love will go with him. Time to let him, ride like the wind...