back sliding...



Even as an atheist, I knew what back sliding meant. When you get in the church, you learn more and faster about back sliding than you do about Jesus. Now I get it, human default and all but don't let the church define the word, it is a human event not merely religious.

With that said, here is m;y back sliding Story. For over 5 months, I have faithfully while hating ever minute of it, done my 5 day a week exercise. The first Monday in January, out of nowhere one morning, I decided not too. I also decided that again on Friday. Three weeks go by and my deciding follows this slippery slope path. Last Friday, I faced this whole backsliding thing, put it in a mental red balloon and watched it go up into the sky until I could see no more. Thank you, Frazier Crane, you still totally rock.

Had to do a bit of friendly trash talk, and this week, we are back on the straight and narrow. Never one to believe that if you do Something for 21 days, it becomes automatic and second-nature. I have a long, long list of attempts and back sliding to back up my theory.

We are backsliders by nature, that is why there is so many When's not If's in the Word. Our lives are a constant jumble of 2 steps forward and 1 back and not necessarily in that or any other, order. In all areas of our lives, we can never take for granted that we are, for the lack of a better word, cured of what we think we are. There will be successes and some will stick, but that will be because of hard work and the taking of responsiblity knowing it could change in an instant.

Today, I am not looking back at what was nor looking to tomorrow for might be but today. Did my time, exercise done. Today was a good day. New red balloon tomorrow, can't wait...