coffeeshop mentality...



Nothing quite like spending some time at Flying M to gather one's thoughts. For a introvert, you might imagine that is the last place where one would go but the opposite is true. At every visit, you might run into someone you know but a quick hello and goodbye and you are back where you started. The most fun thing is to share the time with someone that involves deep conversation about the meaning of life. It is even better if you come a few minutes early to not only collect your thoughts but to watch your fellow man.

Became aware of the life of Vivian Maier last week. A reclusive nanny (which really is an oxy moron) who on her day off, went into town and collected hundreds of rolls of street photography. There are a couple of young men putting together her Story now, who missed tailing to her by a few days after her death. There is a gallery showing in Chicago, a film and a book. After I read her Story, I wondered if they would ever find pictures of the children she took care of but it seems, that is not to be.

I look around my section of the coffee shop and notice lots of men. I always wonder what they are searching on their laptops. Admittedly, I imagine most of them are up to no good. May not be a fair assessment but this is not a fair world. Lots of college students and the couple next to me, should have taken their conversation, somewhere else. There was no way I could not overhear. He couldn't' get a break with her, no matter what he said,(his words). Imagine it was a New Years break up, best of luck to them, no matter what.

I read several newspapers, reminded me what I no longer take the paper despite my weekly call/flyer trying to woo me back. It feels much like being courted by a Commodore 64, (prehistoric Wii). I even got a call asking if I would take the paper again for the poor carriers and their falling income. I spent 20 minutes reading nothing I hadn't known for a week but everything goes better with Diet Coke, so I was in good company.

My people showed up and it was time to move on. A delightful couple of hours and I headed home, feeling pretty good for a cold, January day. It doesn't take much for me to appreciate what I have and Miss Vivian has inspired me to see my fellow man is new light. Going to follow the rabbit down the Hole...