no room 4 faith...



Caught the trailor several times and have been mildly intrigued over Holly Hunter's new show, Saving Grace. It started last night with an MA rating - mature audience, didn't know there was such a thing for TV. I am not recommending the show, there was a few sex scenes that were way over the top but I understand why they were added.

Holly's character Grace is a rough, mean, lack of all things good kind of gal. She is cop who sees the worst of the worst. She cusses like a sailor and is sleeping with her married partner. She is living a hard and dangerous life. I couldn't helping thinking of her as a prodigal daughter. We hear the Story of the prodigal son but not many of the details. Adding the visual to the Story - seeing and experiencing the depths of a out of control life, gave me a new perspective of the prodigal son.
Grace comes to a crossroads in her life when she kills a man with her car. As she is giving him CPR and realizes he is already dead, she calls out for God ....and Earl shows up. Earl is a good old boy, tobacco-chewing angel, complete with wings. He tells her that God sent him and if she asks, she will get another chance, a chance to redo the evening. The rest of the show Grace is trying to figure out if she is crazy...or not. Earl shows up whenever and wherever he wants. At one of their meetings, she is angry and lashes out at Earl with all the Why questions in her life. The same questions we all ask.
Why was I molested by a priest?
Why was my sister killed in the Oklahoma bombing?
Why do all these bad things happen?
And Earl, being the good angel that he is, looks at her and says, " I can give you all the answers but if I give you the answers, there would be no room for faith".
I sat and stared at the TV. For me, this one liner brought me to my provebial knee. I had asked my own Grace questions for as long as I can remember. So, what if this Jesus thing is all about faith? Room for faith, is this what it is all about. Earl is right, if we had all the answers, faith wouldn't exist. How would that change our relationship with Him? Is faith more important than answers? Maybe I have been barking up the wrong tree...
I have packed that sentence around with me all day. I know, it is just TV. The wild ride with Grace will be ongoing. I admit, I can't wait to see what happens next week. Just like me, Grace's journey will be one step forward and three steps back. I didn't live a life like Grace but I was raised by those who were Grace incarnate- maybe that is the draw for me, feels like home. Until then, I am gonna have a little talk with Jesus and see about a faith tune-up...