being neighborly...


We have had an on-going battle with our next door neighbors for about a year. If our mail boxes weren't in the same place, I could care less where he parks his car but he chooses to park right in front of the mailbox where the mail lady can't get to do her duty.
They are not bad neighbors. Their dog barks when we go outside or mow the lawn but that is about the extent of any problem for us. We wave when we see each other but not much else. The first time this mailbox thing came up, he went a little nuts - screaming that he has rights and should be able to park his huge rig wherever he wants to. The mail lady left notes in both of our boxes and he continues to do as he pleased. It finally came to a head a few weeks ago when he was informed that he would no longer receive mail until the path was clear. The mail lady told me she would deliver our mail but not his. I was a little worried for her - he had served our country in Iraq and has displayed a temper. I warned her, she may not want to confront him by herself.
I have been mad at him for quite a while. He knows what he is doing and chooses to continue to be a ( insert strong adjective here). Day after day, first the mail then the newspaper person stops putting our paper on the box of the mail post and started throwing it in the driveway. It appeared that he must have taken some pleasure in this little game until he started to cost him. I was REALLY glad when I found out his mail would not be delivered. SERVES you right! Who do you think you are? Why can't you try to get along and make it easier for all of us????
I was grocery shopping today, running up and down the isles because I lost my list somewhere. He came to mind and I remember thinking, he needs Jesus. Then again, he needs Jesus. It was a soft reminder not of what a not-nice person he has been but a declaration of the state of his soul. He needs Jesus.
I got home and his vehicle was not in front of the mail box. I looked over at his house and with those three little words still in my head, I sent a prayer his way. I have been so busy being mad at him, I didn't take time to think about anything else. I am going to send a prayer his way everytime I get my mail, even if he relapses. He does need Jesus and its time I start being more neighborly...