Ms Smarty Pants...

Sunday...DH has to work again but I feel the need to head to church. I don't remember until I sit down and cruise the bulletin that the pastor was gone and there is a guest speaker. Darn it, I think to myself. For a brief moment, I considered leaving. I don't like change and there is a reason that most churches don't give the congregation a heads-up when the preacher is a no-show.

But I didn't leave. I stayed. As the music began, this older gentleman in front of me pulled out his tamborine, complete with flowing ribbons, and started to play. I felt a big smile start to come across my face. He played very well, laid it down gently during slow songs and picked it up, playing with much gusto the rest of the time. I loved that he was demonstrative in his worship and able to hear the march of his personal drummer.

After the music, announcements and greeting - the speaker of the morning got up and started to speak. The next 40 minutes were an absolute delight. He was charming, funny and passionate. He shared personal Stories, made us laugh while sharing God's Word. What a great morning that I almost missed.

Well, Ms Smarty Pants - what do you think now? My loyal self had given me up. What I thought to be true - was not. My Tamborine friend had been well worth the trip and Mr Preacher guy, well, let's bring him back real soon.

He talked about how hard it is to give up being in the driver seat, that our natural inclination is not to love, riding shotgun. How right he is - it will always be that way for me. Yesterday's lesson is another experience that hopefully resonated with me and will stay when I start trying to crawl from the passenger side trying to force my way back into the driver seat. It happens to all of us and will always be Something that we will have to learn over and over again. Thanks Ms Smarty Pants, I can always count on you to learn a great lesson - I love you so...